WordPress is the most preferred blogging platform. In this article, I shall be sharing with you a list of the most recommended and popular WordPress plugins for SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Please, bear in mind that you cannot use all these WordPress plugins for SEO at once. You can only use a combination of two or more at a time but at the end of this post, I shall tell you the best among them.
Recommended wordpress plugins for SEO
- WordPress SEO by Yoast: This WordPress plugin has proved over the years to be the most recommended and popular SEO plugin. WordPress SEO by Yoast has many features such as Sitemap creation, blog indexing control, social SEO, Meta description for posts (including single posts) and pages (including homepage), ability to edit robots.txt and .htaccess files, and much more. This plugin is totally free to download and use from wordpress.org. A good alternative to this plugin is All in one SEO pro.
- SEMRUSH: SEMRUSH is a web based wordpress SEO tool designed for people with no knowledge of SEO. This tool gives you complete control over your site’s SEO and helps you identify SEO issues affecting your blog’s organic growth. SEMRUSH is a premium (paid) SEO tool. SEMRUSH is mostly used for keyword researchers.
- Google XML Sitemap plugin: For generating a sitemap of your blog in accordance with Google recommendations. This plugin is for those not using WordPress SEO by Yoast. This is because WordPress SEO by Yoast already comes with Sitemap generator. Therefore, using these two plugins together may cause conflicts.
- Broken link checker plugin: This plugin is very useful in detecting broken links in your blog. It detects both internal and external links that are broken and fixes them. Broken links in a blog are very bad for SEO.
NOTE: only use this plugin for low traffic blogs because it cannot handle large traffic blogs.
- SEO Smart Link plugin: This plugin automatically link your words to any post links. This very useful for onpage optimization and can boost your site’s search engine ranking. It is also very good for interlinking of posts. You need to know your internal linking and Google’s linking algorithm before using this plugin. This plugin is free but it also has a premium version with more features.
- LInkPatrol: This is a premium wordpress plugin which allows you control all the links in your blog. LinkPatrol helps you monitor all your external links provides an efficient way to clean up all your anchor text, spammy links, and link juice problems.
- SEO friendly Images: This plugin helps to optimize the images in your blog for search engine ranking. This can drive traffic to your blog via image search engines. This plugin adds ALT attributes into your images. All you need to do is rename your images to more reasonable names according to your post title.
Among all these WordPress plugins for SEO, I strongly recommend WordPress SEO by Yoast for your blog. This is because it also offers some of the features of these other SEO plugins. It is better to use one plugin for many functions than installing many plugins for different functions which can slow down your blog, cause conflicts, and make your site susceptible to hackers.
Also, make sure you install and setup a caching plugin on your blog. Most recommended WordPress caching plugins are WP Super Cache and W3 Total Cache. This will greatly boost your site’s loading speed.
Please, do let us know if there is any other great WordPress plugins for SEO out there that is not included in this post.