Choosing a good wordpress theme for your blog is very important since it determines how your blog will look like on different browsers of computers, tablets, or mobile devices of different screen sizes. Therefore, one cannot just choose any wordpress theme and start blogging away but must put some things into consideration before choosing any wordpress theme for his/her blog. Your blogging niche can also determine the type of theme to choose including the colours and layout.
Without wasting much of your time, let’s look at those most important things to look for in a WordPress theme:
- Simple Design: You must choose a theme with an easy and clear design. A simple theme makes it much easier for your blog visitors to navigate your blog while an unclear or ambiguous design makes it difficult for your blog visitors to navigate your blog thereby discouraging them from coming to your blog next time.
- Speed: Some themes (although very few) can slow down your blog. So, it is very good to test your blog with your chosen theme to determine its loading time (speed). To test a theme’s speed, you can use the “Pingdom” Website Speed Test to do that. Go to pingdom and enter the URL of the theme’s demo or your blog while using the theme, to see how long the page takes to load. If it takes longer than three seconds for your blog or the theme’s demo to load (loading time of two seconds or below is ideal), then you might want to find a different theme with better speed.
- Responsiveness: This is another great thing to look out for in a wordpress theme. A theme that has the ability to adjust its layout to fit into different screen sizes of different devices is known as a responsive theme. In this present time, people access the internet more with their mobile devices than with computers. So, you must choose a responsive theme if you want to make your blog easy for your readers to navigate. The responsiveness of your blog can also improve your search engine ranking.
- Easy to customize: Your wordpress theme must be easy to understand, and customize to your taste. The good news is that many wordpress themes are easy to understand, learn and customize.
- Security: Some themes that are not hardcoded may have some security issues which can be manipulated by some determined hackers. Therefore, it’s a good idea to investigate any theme before using it. A simple way to do this is to check some user ratings, user reviews and user comments on any theme before using it. If there is no complaint on security issues concerning the theme, you can go ahead and use it.
- Search Engine Optimization: It is better to choose a wordpress theme that’s designed with SEO in mind. Like I said previously, a responsive theme is good for SEO than a non-responsive theme. There are also other attributes of a theme that can affect the SEO of your blog. So, you must keep this in mind also when choosing a wordpress theme. The simplest way to do this is to look out for “SEO Optimized” or “SEO ready” in the theme’s description.
Go to www.wordpress.org/themes to download a nice theme for your blog.
These are the most important things to consider when choosing a theme.